Despite my deepest desires and best efforts, we seem to be sliding inexorably into fall again. But I’m intent on squeezing every last drop out of summer, and I think this delicious spiced peach bourbon cocktail neatly walks that line.
Called the “Trouble in Paradise”, this drink recipe came to me initially from Instagram, where I saw it and went “Ooooohh yes please!” and took a screenshot. Then it sat on my phone for a couple years before I stumbled upon it again.
It is the perfect encapsulation of summer and fall together…sweet, juicy peach flavor so reminiscent of midsummer, paired with the warming notes of cinnamon and bourbon that denote more of a fall cocktail, and then lifted with a hint of brightness from the fresh lemon juice.
You might also like: 13 Amazing Fall Cocktails to Fall in Love With
Beyond its amazing taste, the other great thing about this peach whiskey cocktail is that it’s super easy to make. You don’t need esoteric or expensive ingredients, beyond some peach schnapps or liqueur.
Many people have a bottle of this on hand from some past party (you don’t need super expensive stuff), and always wonder what to make with peach schnapps. And here’s the answer!
All you need besides that is a decent bourbon (I think a 90-proof or thereabouts is perfect, much less than that gets lost), a lemon, and some cinnamon or cardamom simple syrup (for cinnamon, just substitute cinnamon sticks for the cardamom pods), which takes like three minutes to make and is a great fridge staple.
From there, you simply pour all the ingredients into shaker (here’s my leak-proof fave) filled with a lot of ice and shake it vigorously for at least 15 seconds.
This is one drink that I don’t think necessarily needs a garnish, but if you want to fancy it up you can add an orange peel or cinnamon stick.
If you’re looking for an early fall cocktail to be your signature drink, or just want to figure out what to make with that half-used bottle of peach schnapps, you definitely need some Trouble in Paradise!
Other spiced cocktails to fall in love with:
- Spiced Pear Bourbon Cocktail
- Easy Cardamom Simple Syrup
- “43 Flip”: Creamy Whiskey Cocktail with Licor 43
- A Different Take on Poinsettia Punch (Berry, Lemon, Spice, & Gin)
- Bourbon Milk Punch Cocktail
From Slane Irish Whiskey’s IG stories (I think originally by bartender Clara Ridabock)
Pin for later!
- 2 ounces of bourbon (personally I think a 90 proof or thereabouts is perfect)
- 1 ounce of fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 ounce of cinnamon simple syrup (cardamom is also lovely)
- 1/2 ounce of peach liqueur
- Pour all the ingredients into shaker filled with a lot of ice. Shake for at least 15 seconds.
- Strain into a coupe or Nick & Nora glass (double strain to make it extra clear).
- Garnish with an orange twist or cinnamon stick.
See post for link to easy cinnamon (or cardamom) simple syrup recipe