This cocktail is the equivalent of shouting, “SPRING IS HERE!” And this week in Louisville it seems like we’ve finally gotten there. I’ve been on quite the homemade citrus curd kick, but then always wonder what to do with it all. So it seemed like a natural next step to try a lemon curd cocktail.
Here’s my super easy 10-minute homemade lemon curd recipe!
This specific lemon curd cocktail is basically a twist on a classic gin sour…you’ve got good London Dry gin, fresh lemon juice, and simple syrup, and then add the lemon curd to the whole deal.
It’s kind of fascinating…you’re not changing the flavors much, though the butter and egg in the lemon curd does slightly dampen the intense tartness of the lemon juice (that’s why we still add some). But it gives it such a creamy mouthfeel. It’s like a gin sour and a flip cocktail had a baby.
You can also try a flavored simple syrup if you want, and just choose something that pairs well with the lemon flavor…some recommendations I’d have include cardamom, basil, or rosemary.
You might also like: Gifts for the Cocktail Lover & At-Home Mixologist
Making this lemon curd cocktail is super easy…start by putting a bunch of ice cubes in your cocktail shaker, then add all the ingredients.
Shake vigorously for 20-30 seconds (you need to make sure you really emulsify the lemon curd into the drink).
Taste it to make sure the balance is right for your taste buds (this will also depend heavily on the type of lemon curd you use), and add a bit more of any of the lemon juice, curd, or simple syrup as needed.
I usually have to add a splash more simple syrup because my homemade lemon curd is TART.
Strain into a couple glass…I actually think a deeper vs. wider glass is better for this (though I used two different wide glasses for this shoot). If you don’t like the little ice chips on top, you can pour it through a tiny mesh strainer to remove them.
If you’ve never made a flip cocktail (which I love) and are a little daunted by the prospect of putting a whole raw egg in a cocktail, this is a great baby step…the egg in the curd has already been cooked, but still gives some structure or body to the cocktail.
While I wouldn’t do it every day, I found the lemon curd cocktail to be a super fun option, and a great way to use leftover lemon curd as well!
Other citrus-inspired cocktails you’ll love:
- 3-Ingredient Classic Gin Gimlet Cocktail
- A Classic “Army and Navy” Gin Cocktail
- “River Boyne Fizz” Irish Whiskey Cocktail
- “New York” Whiskey Sour (with Optional Egg White Foam)
Pin for later!
Lemon Curd Cocktail: Twist on a Gin Sour
This lemon curd cocktail is a twist on a classic gin sour...a perfect spring drink that is bright, creamy, tart, & a little sweet!
- 2 ounces of good London Dry gin (ideally with citrus botanicals, I love Fords)
- 2 large spoonfuls of lemon curd
- 3/4 ounce of fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 ounce of simple syrup (or more to taste)
- Put a bunch of ice cubes in your cocktail shaker and add all the ingredients.
- Shake vigorously for 20-30 seconds. Taste to make sure the balance is right for your taste buds (this will also depend heavily on the type of lemon curd you use), and add a bit more of any of the lemon juice, curd, or simple syrup as needed.
- Strain into a couple glass (pour through a fine mesh strainer if you don't want tiny ice chips) and enjoy!
- You can also try a flavored simple syrup if you want, that pairs well with the lemon...some recommendations I'd have include cardamom, basil, or rosemary
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Leave a Reply