It’s the worst-kept secret that I’m obsessed with grilling pizza. I’ve been experimenting with different flavor combinations, but keep coming back to this BBQ chicken pizza…I even made it for my birthday dinner this year.
Why do I love it so much?? It’s such a lovely blend of flavors and textures that feel hearty and indulgent, and makes a perfect transition from summer into fall grilling.
This BBQ chicken pizza is a FLAVOR EXPLOSION. Warm, spiced BBQ sauce, gooey cheese, a little bite from the red onion, the hearty chicken and sweetness of the butternut squash. All surrounded by the chewy pizza crust.
First, you have the dough. I love making my own and it’s so easy! You can check out my favorite pizza dough for grilling if that’s of interest, or you can easily pick some up from the store and have a fast, easy dinner on the table.
Your toppings should all be made ahead and just assembled, and you can let your heart lead you. Obviously you have BBQ sauce and likely some chicken, plus your cheeses.
But from there it’s up to you. I highly recommend a bit of red onion, and have loved adding roasted butternut squash pieces when I have them. Pine nuts can add some nice crunch, and fresh cilantro as garnish can brighten it up.
Give it 5-10 minutes on the grill and you’ve got a winner of a weeknight dinner.
I have like 5 different methods for awesome grilled BBQ pizza, but I’ve detailed my current favorite in the recipe below. It lets you top the dough before it ever goes on the grill, which is SOOOOO much easier than trying to do it already on the grill.
*SIGH* pure cheesy, saucy, crunchy heaven. I’m so in love with this BBQ chicken pizza and plan to make it all fall and through the winter.
Other pizzas you’ll love:
- Grilled Traditional Margherita Pizza
- Grilled Zucchini & Corn Pizza with Marinated Feta
- A number of different pizza flavor combos
Here’s what you’ll need for your grilled BBQ pizza
- My go-to pizza dough recipe
- A good BBQ sauce (I love Sweet Baby Ray’s)
- Good quality buffalo mozzarella (Belgioso has these pearls which I love)
- Freshly-grated parmesan (yes, fresh makes a difference)
- Some sharp cheddar if you like
- Other toppings of your choice (I like some red onion, roasted butternut squash, & pine nuts)
- Parchment paper, silicone tongs, spatula for grill
- See full recipe below