I initially envisioned this as a spring cocktail, partly because the color just makes me so happy, and I tend to associate bright citrus with spring. But the more I sip it, the more I realize that this grapefruit cardamom cocktail is also the perfect thing to ease our inevitable descent into fall.
Which I’m not ready for. EVER.
Whether you want to think of this as a twist on a Bohemian (my opinion) or Brown Derby, or a classic gin gimlet that’s had a personality transplant, I think you’ll fall in love with this cocktail. It shares some DNA with all of those, but is very much its own experience.
What really elevates it is the homemade cardamom syrup, which takes seriously like 2 minutes to make. (And is great for all sorts of other delicious things like iced coffee!)
As a side note, I’m a teeensy bit obsessed with these mini clothespins for garnishing drinks!
You might also like: The At-Home Cocktail Tools I Swear By
The flavors we’re going for here are tart and refreshing, with a lovely underpinning of warm spice. I prefer this with a good London Dry gin with some citrus notes, like Ford’s. Avoid anything too juniper-y or too floral, as it will take over the drink.
One major note for making this delicious and not sad. You definitely want to use fresh grapefruit juice, not store-bought. Non-negotiable.
And if you don’t have the bitters, don’t worry…they add a little something extra, but this cocktail is still awesome without them.
Making this cocktail is SUPER simple, but you will need to make the cardamom simple syrup first (it takes literally…2 minutes?? Though you’ll want it to cool.)
Then all you do is fill a cocktail shaker halfway with ice and pour all the ingredients in (minus the garnish). Shake for 15 seconds…don’t get lazy!
Then strain into a cocktail glass and garnish with grapefruit peel and your adorable clothespin (if you go that route).
Get your hands on a fresh grapefruit and make this TODAY! Seriously, you need it in your life.
Other tart & herbal cocktails you’ll love:
- Fuzzy Navel All-Grown-Up (Mint & Apricot Gin Cocktail)
- Sage Advice: A Winter Bourbon Cocktail
- The “Last Word”: A Classic Gin Cocktail
- The Verdant Lady (Gin & Green Chartreuse Cocktail)
- Basil Gin Gimlet Cocktail
Adapted significantly from The Modern Proper
Pin for later!
- 2 ounces of good gin
- 2 1/2 ounces of fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice (could back off to 2)
- 1/2 to 1/2 ounce of cardamom simple syrup
- 1 dash of Peychaud's Bitters
- Garnish: grapefruit peel twist
- Fill a cocktail shaker halfway with ice and pour all the ingredients in (minus the garnish).
- Shake for 15 seconds, then strain into a coupe glass.
- Garnish with the grapefruit peel.
- You definitely want to use fresh grapefruit juice, not store-bought.
- If you don't have the bitters, don't worry...they add a little something but this cocktail is delicious without them.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.