Guys, this is so good. I didn’t believe that somehow simple frozen bananas could be broken down and then coalesce into a creamy, magical ice cream.
If I served this to you and told you it was ice cream, you’d never guess otherwise. Unless you hate bananas, and then you’d just wonder why I was trying to poison you with banana ice cream.
But I love banana flavor, and I love peanut butter, so this is totally up my alley. I also love that there’s no added sugar and it takes five minutes to put together.
When I started blending the bananas in my food processor, I really didn’t think this was going to work. The frozen banana pieces made a kind of cold, grainy powder—kind of like banana-flavored snow, but definitely not like ice cream. But I persevered.
Once I finally got it blended up to an even consistency, I added the peanut butter, and then ended up adding a tiny bit of coconut milk. Just a splash, to help give it the creamy texture I wanted. The vanilla and sea salt added just a li’l something extra.
One thing to note, this is really best served right away. If you freeze leftovers, the texture will lose that amazing creaminess. Best to make it right when you want to eat it—it’s an instant gratification kind of dessert!
Other easy ice creams you’ll love:
- Peanut Butter & Honey Ice Cream with Sea Salt
- Fresh Peach Coconut Milk Ice Cream
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Ice Cream
- Roasted Apricot & Honey Ice Cream
- Indulgent-Feeling Dark Chocolate Banana “Nice Cream” (GF, dairy-free, sugar-free)
Healthy Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream
Note, this can be sized appropriately; I made 2 bananas (2 T. peanut butter, etc.) as a big serving for one person
- 2 large, ripe bananas
- 2 tablespoons of natural peanut butter
- Splash of coconut milk or similar (a few tablespoons, whatever is needed)
- ¼ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- A super teeny-tiny dash of cinnamon
- Sea salt to taste
- Optional: roasted peanuts for topping
- Cut the bananas into small chunks and freeze until solid, at least 1-2 hours.
- Blend the bananas in a very strong blender and blend until smooth and creamy. This will take a few minutes, and may require periodic pauses and adjustments (I had to keep scraping down the bowl and re-positioning everything).
- Once it’s an even, fairly smooth consistency, add the peanut butter, vanilla extract, cinnamon, sea salt, and anything else you might like in there. Blend everything together quickly and serve immediately. Top with additional peanut butter and crushed roasted peanuts.
Original recipe from Pinch of Yum
Pin for later!
[…] Super Healthy Peanut Butter Banana “Ice Cream” […]