I’m on an ice cream kick. I’ve tried like four different recipes in the past few weeks, all with this super easy coconut milk base. Because it’s been HAWT!
And I’ll be honest, this roasted apricot and honey ice cream was a bit of a happy accident.
I had seen several recipes for roasted plum ice cream, which I found super intriguing, but when I went to the store they were out of plums. And then these beautiful (actually ripe for once) apricots just jumped out at me.
Apricot is such a strong flavor that I couldn’t think of a good spice complement (I’d planned to do cardamom with the plums), so I just kept it super simple—honey, vanilla, and a little bit of sea salt.
While it was a bit tart for my taste (I was trying to go easy on the honey but probably went a little TOO light), it was refreshing and delicious!
Preheat the oven to 400 F. Slice up the apricots into even pieces.
Lay on parchment paper, then sprinkle with the sugar. Let sit for a few minutes so it brings the juices out.
Roast for 15-25 minutes,depending on how juicy the fruit is. You may need to sprinkle with a little water if they’re not particularly juicy. Let cool to room temperature.
Put the coconut milk (this is hands-down my favorite brand), honey, cooled roasted apricots, vanilla, and salt into a blender, and blend thoroughly.
Pour into a bowl and chill for a few hours, so it’s totally cold (and if your ice cream maker bowl needs to freeze, do that as well).
Pour the cold mixture into your ice cream maker (I’ve had this one for years) and use it however your particular machine works. For mine, it only takes about 10-15 minutes.
Eat right away or you can chill for an hour or so.
I’ve found that the best texture is to eat it right away, though it gets melty really fast. You can also freeze and eat later, though you might need to let it soften on the counter for a half hour or so.
Other cold sweet treats you’ll love:
- Peanut Butter & Honey Ice Cream with Sea Salt
- Super Healthy Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream
- Healthy Chocolate Cornstarch Pudding
- Fresh Peach Coconut Milk Ice Cream
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Ice Cream
- Creamy 5-Minute Peanut Butter Pudding (dairy-free, gluten-free, vegan)
- Healthy Lemon Cornstarch Pudding
Roasted Apricot & Honey Coconut Milk Ice Cream
- 1 can of full-fat coconut milk (this is my favorite brand)
- 1/2 cup of honey
- 2 small, RIPE apricots
- Sprinkling of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- ½ teaspoon of fine grain sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Slice the apricots and lay on parchment paper, then sprinkle with the sugar. Let sit for a few minutes so it brings the juices out, then roast for 15-25 minutes, just depending on your oven and how juicy the fruit are. You may need to sprinkle with a little water if they’re not particularly juicy. Let cool to room temperature.
- Put the coconut milk, honey, cooled roasted apricots, vanilla, and salt into a blender, and blend thoroughly.
- Pour into a bowl and chill for a few hours, until it’s thoroughly cold. If your ice cream maker bowl needs to freeze, make sure that’s done as well.
- Pour the now-chilled mixture into your ice cream maker. Freeze according to your manufacturer’s instructions. It only takes about 10-15 minutes with my ice cream maker for it to be totally done. Eat right away or chill for an hour or so. You can also freeze and eat later, though you might need to let it soften on the counter for a half hour or so.
Adapted from this peanut butter & honey ice cream
Pin for later!