Guys, I have been in a side dish rut. That’s a real thing.
Side dishes seem like So. Much. Work. I mean, I’ve already made a main dish and maybe a bread, and maybe a dessert. And now you want me to make something else entirely to go beside it?? Basically I always get overwhelmed and then make basic roasted veggies or shredded brussels sprouts and call it a day.
It has—rather embarrassingly—been over two years since I posted a true side dish on the site, excepting the kale and quinoa pilaf from a couple months ago. So I’m excited to bring this somewhat odd but delightful and super healthy side to you. I’d wanted to try it for a while but…well, I really haven’t been cooking much besides nachos. This was also my first time using turmeric, a spice used for millennia to combat inflammation and a variety of issues. And these veggies are crazy fast and easy, so as long as your oven is free it doesn’t add any stress or logistics to dinner at all.
I used fingerling potatoes and carrots, but the original recipe, linked below, calls for radishes instead of potatoes. Weirdly (since it’s springtime), my grocery store had absolutely no radishes, so I winged it (wung it?).
Preheat the oven 450 degrees. Cut the potatoes in half, or quartered if they’re large and place the carrots in the bowl as well. Pat them dry if they’re wet, they’ll roast better that way.
Drizzle with the oil and lemon juice. Toss well.
Add the spices and toss until the vegetables are evenly coated.
Spread the vegetables out in a single layer on a baking sheet (I lined a baking sheet with foil for easy cleanup).
Roast for 20-25 minutes, or until fork-tender. You’ll want to start checking after 15 minutes, but mine needed closer to 25.
Remove from oven, and transfer to a serving bowl, or let cool and then refrigerate in Pyrex or tupperware.
Roasted Carrots & Fingerling Potatoes with Turmeric
- 1 1/2 pounds of organic fingerling potatoes, washed & halved or quartered
- 12 ounces of organic baby carrots, washed
- 2-3 tablespoons of melted organic coconut oil
- 1/2 of a lemon, juiced
- 2 teaspoons of dried organic parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon of organic ground turmeric root
- 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of real salt or sea salt
- Preheat the oven 450 degrees.
- Cut the potatoes in half, or quartered if they’re large.
- Place the carrots and potatoes in a large bowl, and drizzle with the oil and lemon juice. Toss well.
- Add the spices and toss until the vegetables are evenly coated.
- Spread the vegetables out in a single layer on a baking sheet (I lined a baking sheet with foil for easy cleanup).
- Roast for 20-25 minutes or until fork-tender (start checking after 15 minutes, but mine needed closer to 25).
- Remove from oven, and transfer to a serving bowl.
Original recipe here
[…] Roasted Carrots & Fingerling Potatoes with Turmeric […]