When I’m experimenting with tons of different recipes, it’s easy to forget that often the simplest recipes are the most perfect. And that’s definitely the case with these marinated white beans.
Calling this a “recipe” feels a bit weird because there are literally two instructions—put everything a bowl, and mix. And what you get from it is a side dish or a plant-based main dish that is PACKED with flavor.
While you *can* eat them right away, I think they’re much, much better after at few hours (or even better, overnight), when the flavors have had a chance to really meld and sink in.
And that makes these an amazing, 5-minute make-ahead dish—perfect for prepping to take to work. I like to throw some pan-seared fish or grilled chicken on top for the hit of real protein that I need. Add a side salad, and you’re good to go!
To make these marinated cannellini beans (or northern or other white beans, if you can’t find cannellini), simply put all the ingredients in a medium bowl and toss to combine.
Taste and season with more salt and pepper as needed, but realize that all the flavors will intensify as it sits so don’t go overboard.
Cover and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes, but ideally a few hours or overnight. This gets better with time, so overnight or longer is even better so these are a great make-ahead option.
These are best served slightly chilled or closer to room temperature vs. straight out of the fridge.
This recipe is adaptable based on what you have on-hand, particular around the fresh herbs, and the amounts aren’t exact…I start somewhere, taste, and keep adding til it’s perfect.
For instance I love this with fresh basil but don’t always have it. I didn’t have shallot the first time I made it, so subbed red onion instead. Feel free to play around with it.
Other super healthy vegetarian recipes you’ll love:
- Sweet Potato “Toast” with Guacamole & Chili-Lime Black Beans
- 10-Minute Spiced Chickpea Scramble
- Socca (Chickpea Flatbread) with Roasted Veggies & Goat Cheese
- Sweet Potato Chickpea Buddha Bowl with Maple Tahini Sauce
- Korean BBQ Cauliflower & Chickpeas (gluten-free, vegan)
- Roasted Vegetable & Farro Salad with Creamy Shallot Dressing
Adapted from The Kitchn
Pin for later!
- 1 (15-ounce) can of cannellini or other white beans, drained & rinsed
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- Zest of 1 small or 1/2 a large lemon
- Juice of 1 small lemon (you may need more)
- 1/4 cup of finely chopped shallot or red onion (adjust if that's too intense/too much)
- 1 clove of garlic, grated or minced finely
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh oregano leaves
- If you have them, chopped fresh basil & chives
- Add all the ingredients in a medium bowl and toss to combine. Taste and season with more salt and pepper as needed, but realize that all the flavors will intensify as it sits so don't go overboard.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes, but ideally a few hours or overnight. This gets better with time, so overnight or longer is even better so these are a great make-ahead option.
- These are best served slightly chilled or closer to room temperature vs. straight out of the fridge.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.