I did it all for gra-nookie!
Yeah, I couldn’t resist.
Basically, this is just a giant, semi-healthy cookie. One cookie. Or, if you’re super nice, one you can share with your friends. (Spoiler alert: I’m not nice)
The cookie base is coconut oil and a little butter, then the main ingredients are granola and whole wheat flour. So while it’s a dessert, it’s full of whole grain, fiber-y goodness and can be a nice breakfast treat to get you through the week. You can also customize it however you want—I used vanilla granola and dark chocolate chips and peanut butter chips. But the sky’s the limit. You could use banana nut granola and peanut butter chips, mocha granola and milk chocolate chips. If you can dream it, do it.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl stir together the brown sugar, oil, butter, vanilla, salt, baking soda, and the egg white.
Add the flour and granola, and stir until just combined
Add the chocolate chips (and peanut butter chips, in my case) and barely stir in.
Spray a 9-inch cast iron skillet (or other oven-safe pan) with cooking spray and then spread the mixture evenly into the pan. The picture in the original recipe looked more like a cookie pie, but mine didn’t quite fill the whole pan and just looked like a giant-ass cookie.
Bake for 15 minutes or until set. Cool slightly and then cut into wedges.
I wrapped it in foil and it kept well for a few days at least. It made a tasty breakfast with my morning coffee!
- 1/2 cup of granola (I used Bear Naked’s Vanilla Almond)
- 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour (I used white whole wheat)
- 1/3 cup of packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil (or similar)
- 1 tablespoons of butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 large egg white
- Chocolate chips to taste (I used dark chocolate & peanut butter)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Combine the brown sugar, oil, butter, vanilla, salt, baking soda, and the egg white. Stir together until smooth.
- Add the flour and granola, stir until just combined, and then add the chocolate chips and barely stir in.
- Coat a 9-inch cast iron skillet with cooking spray and spread the mixture evenly into the pan. Mine didn’t quite fill the whole pan, so it really just looked like a giant cookie.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until set. Cool slightly and then cut into wedges.
Original recipe here
Dala Al-Fuwaires @ Thyme and Tamarind says
Thanks for adapting my recipe! I like your use of coconut oil. And how was it with the Vanilla Almond granola?
It was great–I wanted a peanut butter granola but couldn’t find any, so the vanilla seemed fairly plain. I’d love to try a banana nut granola with peanut butter chips too. Thanks for the recipe!