This bread is the BOMB!
Cinnamon-sugar is my kryptonite in general, so it’s no surprise that I was drawn to this recipe. It’s all the best things about my snickerdoodle bread (which is amazing, but also will make a major dent in your calories for the day), combined with a bit of whole wheat flour and fiber from zucchini. Make no mistake, this is definitely a breakfast dessert, but it’s now only a bit of splurge rather than a complete diet derail.
The hardest thing is finding the cinnamon chips—if you see them, buy like 6 bags! (Though this may be part of the scarcity problem…). I think Hershey’s discontinued theirs, so I’ve been buying them on the Amazon black market, and will need to look elsewhere soon. Cinnamon chips are seriously the best, and appropriate in all manner of delicious breakfast and dessert recipes.
This was a hit at work. And I had trouble keeping my hands off it. I had a piece with my morning espresso, but went back several times throughout the day for another bite. I probably had three pieces total, one bite at a time!
Preheat the oven to 325 F and spray a regular size bread pan with non-stick spray.
In a stand mixer, beat the oil, sugar, applesauce, egg, and vanilla together.
You can shred the zucchini by hand with a grater, or with the attachment of your food processor. I’m incapable of grating things without also grating my fingers, so I went the food processor route. Also, because I am lazy.
Add the shredded zucchini and mix to disperse.
Add a cup of flour and the baking powder, baking soda, cream of tartar, cinnamon and salt, then mix. Then add the remaining flour and stir everything together.
Stir in the cinnamon chips briefly and pour the batter into the prepared pan.
Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar over the top and bake for 45-55 minutes or until the center is set and a toothpick comes out clean (or with some crumbs). Go 3-5 minutes past when you think you should pull it out (trust me on this).
Allow to cool and slice.
You will be a hero.
Other quick breads you’ll love:
- Snickerdoodle Banana Bread
- Chai Spice Banana Bread
- Regular Snickerdoodle Bread
- Brown Oatmeal Soda Bread
- Lemon Zucchini Bread
Original recipe from Oh Sweet Basil
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of canola or vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup of applesauce
- 1 cup of sugar (I went scant on it)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 cup (or thereabouts) of finely shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup of cinnamon baking chips
- 2-4 tablespoons of cinnamon-sugar (1:1 ratio)
- Preheat the oven to 325 F and spray a regular size bread pan with non-stick spray.
- In a stand mixer, beat the oil, sugar, applesauce, egg, and vanilla together, then add the shredded zucchini and mix.
- Add a cup of flour and the baking powder, baking soda, cream of tartar, cinnamon and salt, then mix. Then add the remaining flour and stir everything together.
- Stir in the cinnamon chips briefly and pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar over the top and bake for 45-55 minutes or until the center is set and a toothpick comes out clean (or with some crumbs).
- Allow to cool and slice.
- Don't be scared of how many ingredients this looks like, it comes together really fast!